Take Me to a Tailgate

One of the things I feel like I miss out on the most from living in New York is sports. Growing up, it was all Illini all the time. In college, it was all about Illinois, too. Then living in Chicago with all of my friends from U of I, plus the all of the Chitown pride for the Bears, Blackhawks, Bulls, and Cubs, I feel like my social calendar kind of revolved around sports games (or at least watching them at bars). Here in New York, not so much. I guess I’ve traded the tailgating & beer for bubbly & blogging.

Having been born bleeding orange & navy blue (my high school colors, too!), I’ve become quite accustomed to showing my pride through my closet. If something is cute and it’s orange, it’s pretty much a done deal. Same thing with anything that actually mixes orange and navy. It used to not be a problem because I had one million and one places to wear everything I bought. Whereas now, I keep buying these orange and blue pieces and really have no where to wear them! I was hoping I’d make it back to Illinois for a football game this fall, but unfortunately life and work got in the way. This is probably the first year of my life that I didn’t go to an Illini football game. #notexaggerating

So I decided to dress up in all of the orange & blue things that I’ve purchased this fall and just pretend I’m tailgating in Champaign. :)

C. Wonder Quilted Barn Jacket | J.Crew Sweater (more here!) |Ā Gap Checkered Shirt | J Brand Jeans | Tieks c/o | Michael Kors Tote | C. Wonder AviatorsĀ (similar) | ESQ Movado Watch c/o

Photos taken by Hallie Wilson

1. 11.14.13
    Mallory commented:

Hi Hallie! Where is your sweater from? Love this sports can post!

2. 11.14.13
    Rachelle commented:

Looove this cute everyday outfit.

3. 11.14.13
    Ashleigh commented:

Love those Tieks!
    ~Ashleigh {Dazzle by Day}

4. 11.14.13

I’d love to know where the sweater with the elbow patches is from! :)

5. 11.14.13
    Lauren commented:

The pattern peeking out from your quilted jacket makes this outfit! So cute.

6. 11.14.13
    Paige commented:

love this outfit!! I’m currently a freshman at UofI, love your spirit!

• 11.14.13
      Jessica Sturdy commented:

Aw so fun! Enjoy it… Goes by entirely too fast! :)

7. 11.14.13
    Heidi commented:

Love the elbow patches on your sweater! I didn’t get to tailgate much during college because I always had soccer games or practices during football season. Now, I tailgate all the time at Ravens games! I am ALWAYS the chick who comes prepared with beer can koozies because honestly who wants to hold a cold can of beer on a freezing cold day.

8. 11.14.13
    jaclyn leblanc commented:

Gotta get my hands on the coat! Super cute girl!! xo

9. 11.14.13
    Brandyn commented:

As a SEC football fan and ACC basketball fan I totally appreciate a great game day ensemble. Love how you mixed the patterns for this outfit!

10. 11.14.13

I love fashionable tailgate wear! I went to the University of Kentucky and while it wasn’t quite as extreme as other SEC schools, functional and fashionable was definitely the way to go. And even after graduating 7 years ago {eek has it really been that long?!} I can’t resist clothes in UK blue.

11. 11.14.13

Beautiful Tieks. And orange and navy are also Hermes too!

Rebecca {at} Preppy Panache

12. 11.14.13
    Dr. Dad commented:

• 11.14.13
      Dr. Dad commented:

There’s still time – We can go to the NW game Turkeyday weekend if you came home. And the ROCKETS look like they will be trying for 4 in a row in Dekalb Fri. nite. You can break out 2 of your O & B outfits anyway !?! – You’d be a hit on the sidelines at either or both games.

• 11.14.13
        Jessica Sturdy commented:

That’s what I was planning on, but I can’t come home for Thanksgiving because of work. Already told Mom this.. :)

13. 11.14.13
    Chris commented:

Well, being a Buckeye fan, I guess I can give you a pass (especially this week) for rooting for your home state team… lol

Maybe after Rutgers joins the Big Ten you’ll get to slide down there to catch a game.

Love your jacket and sunnies!

14. 11.14.13
    Meagan commented:

Best dressed tailgater ever!

15. 11.14.13
    Ann commented:

Love the outfit! Especially the coat and sweater. I Love watching college football, too! Not to be nosey, but is your Dad a Dr.?

• 11.14.13
      Jessica Sturdy commented:

Yep, he’s a veterinarian. And likes to comment on my blog šŸ˜‰

16. 11.14.13
    Hannah commented:

Love that C.Wonder jacket!
    Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

17. 11.14.13
    Majda commented:

I usually don’t like C. Wonder, but that jacket is cool!

Majda | http://www.classystateofmind.blogspot.com

18. 11.14.13

I always love your Illini themed posts (obvi), but totally loving the sweater with the elbow patches! Also, so cute that your dad comments on your blog!

19. 11.14.13
    Olivia commented:

This is so cute! Being born and raised in the Midwest, I can totally relate to your life revolving around sports. This is the perfect way to support your team even when you’re in NYC!

20. 11.14.13
    Samantha commented:

Love your sunnies! You look super cute!

21. 11.14.13
    Agi commented:

Love orange and blue together!!!!!! Tailgate parties sound like a lot of fun.

22. 11.14.13
    Katy commented:

Love your style. I graduated from U of I back in 09!

23. 11.14.13
    Meghan commented:

navy and orange look so cute on you!

24. 11.14.13

Absolutely love the Orange and blue together!

Love Sara

25. 11.14.13

Such a cute idea & such a chic look! Enjoy watching the game! My high school & college colors are similar, but are one off from being the same!

26. 11.14.13
    Sarah commented:

Love your pride for your school! Tailgates are seriously the best to me.

The Purse Snatcher

27. 11.14.13
    Mel commented:

Ohhh so pretty! I LOVE the colour of the jacket. Stunning as usual :) xo

turquoise blonde

28. 11.14.13
    Kari s commented:

Adorable as always and I am dying to know what lipstick you are wearing! It is so perfect for fall! :)

29. 11.15.13

I just showed this to Mitch. He says he approves, and would like to tailgate as well. Go U of I! :)

30. 11.15.13
    Katherine commented:

I love your school pride! At my university, everyone is so competitive and our football places last every year. They’re lucky to get 100 spectators. But I guess Canadian university football is a lot different. Our hockey team though . . . šŸ˜‰

And I love that your dad reads your blog! My dad and I are super close too. He’s always trying to come to my schools sporting events.

31. 11.15.13
    Marie commented:

Such a lovely outfit, Jessica! You look absolutely stunning! I’ve been looking for a quilted jacket for a while now but haven’t found the perfect one yet! Yours looks fab! Definitely gonna check out C.wonders selection :)

have a wonderful day, darling!
    xoxo Marie

Ps: it would mean the world if you’d stop by my website :)

32. 11.15.13

Great idea to dress in team colours – orange and navy are also Detroit Tigers colours so this post is great for me šŸ˜‰

33. 11.15.13
    sjwaggs commented:

love your outfit per usual…but don’t forget about the White Sox!

34. 11.15.13
    Jess Ann Kirby commented:

Love the orange and navy combo! I convinced my parents to let me do my bathroom in navy and orange as a kid, navy tile, orange accent wall. They’ve since repainted it but in any case such a great color combo. Love your outfit it’s adorable and that jacket is amazing! Beer and sports or champs and shopping that jacket is perfect!

35. 11.15.13
    Kimleia commented:

The sport coat looks so adorable on you!!!

36. 11.16.13
    Rebecca commented:

How cute are the little blue soles on your ballet flats? I’m a Canadian girl, but I have a lot of family in Chicago so I’ve actually been to quite a few Chicago football and baseball games. You guys have so much spirit! And I love all the spirit in this post! :)

xx Becca

37. 11.19.13
    Lana commented:

I love the color combo of this outfit and that jacket is adorable!

38. 11.20.13
    kim commented:

you can’t be serious about missing out on sports in ny…. we have DOUBLE of each team….

39. 12.3.13
    Summer commented:

I love your blog and style! I actually got to UIUC and this is perfect fall tailgating outfit inspiration.