The Fourth of July has always been one of my favorite holidays. A day (or weekend!) of summer fun – parades, cookouts, pool parties, fireworks, and my small town’s little festival in the park. Since I can remember, I’ve always planned my red, white, and blue attire weeks in advance. And apparently BEFORE I can remember, too! My mom sent this picture of me sporting my nautical stripes and polka dots at the parade on July 4, 1991. I mean, check out the pop of color with my red socks! Guess not too much has changed…
Fast forward to 2013 – While baby pink bucket hats may no longer be a wardrobe staple of mine, I would still rock a navy and white polka dot ensemble for a summer BBQ! It has been HOT and HUMID in New York as of late. Just the thought of a rooftop soiree and hot grills is enough to make me start sweating, so I’m definitely taking the cool route this Independence Day. I’ll be wearing a simple navy and white sun dress without many accessories, just a pair of earrings and maybe a single bracelet. Instead of red socks, I’ll sport my pop of color with a bold red lip. My hair has to be up off of my neck and shoulders so I’m going for a low messy ballerina bun.
Get the Look
1. Start with fresh, natural hair. I used a bit of the TRESemmé® Keratin Infusing Smoothing Serum in my hair before blow drying to ensure my stands would be super smooth.
2. Spray TRESemmé® Keratin Smooth Heat Protection Shine Spray all over your strands to protect your hair from heat while styling.
3. Flatiron your hair in sections for a sleek look. I use a 1” flatiron.
4. Gather your hair in a low ponytail and secure with a hair tie. Tighten your pony so you have a good base for the bun.
5. Take a natural bristle brush and smooth from your hairline back to your ponytail to get rid of any pesky bumps.
6. Twist your pony tail and then wrap it around the base of your ponytail and secure with spin pins.
7. Once you have your bun, take it and shake it out a bit for a messier look.
8. Spray TRESemmé® TRES Two Ultra Fine Mist Hair Spray all over your head to tame any flyaways and hold your style for the whole day! If you have any major flyaway pieces, secure them with a bobby pin.
9. All finished! How easy was that?! I’m all set for fireworks on the river and a sticky BBQ out in the sun! Note to self: Don’t forget the SPF!
For more hairstyles and tutorials, check out TRESemmé’s YouTube channel. There’s just about every hairstyle you can imagine!
PS — To be entered for a chance to win a TRESemmé Prize Pack including these 3 products, share your (throwback) hairstyle on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook with the hashtags #TRESthrowback #TBT. Leave your link the in the comments below so I can check out your looks! I’ll pick a winner on Monday (7/9/13) morning. 🙂
Have a very happy Independence Day! xo
Photos by Lydia Hudgens
This post is sponsored by TRESemme, a product by Unilever.