Winter Skincare Routine

by Jessica Sturdy on January 30, 2013

I’ve been getting an increasing amount of questions related to skincare, hair, and beauty products! Today, I’m going to share my winter skincare routine. My go-to products are a bit different in the summer, as my skin marches to the beat of a different drum in the warmer months.

Cleanser

I’ve been loving Freeze 24-7 SkinGlacé for months! I am obsessed with the foaming action and I love how it doubles as a mask. I’m a big fan of products that I can feel working! I leave it on for about a minute morning and night. (As you can see, I’m just about due for another bottle!) I truly feel like my skin is the best it has ever been right now and I’m thanking this cleanser. My face had a bit of a freak out when I moved to NYC, but I started using SkinGlacé a few weeks after and I haven’t looked back!

After a workout, I always use Neutrogena Oil-Free Pink Grapefruit Scrub to make sure breakouts stay far away!

I also keep a pack of Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit Cleansing Wipes in my nightstand drawer for those nights when I’m coming home late and am just way too tired to wash my face!

Exfoliator

Freeze 24-7 Ice Crystals is the best exfoliator I’ve used. Honestly! It is a very fine scrub and you can feel it doing it’s job. But it’s never drying! It actually leaves your skin feeling refreshed and moisturized after you use it, which is kind of crazy for an exfoliator! I use this product 1-2 times per week.

Eye Cream

Freeze 24-7 Eyecing is my absolute favorite eye cream! Pricey? Yes, but my first jar lasted me 4 months! Just opened my second jar a few weeks ago and have barely put a dent in it. I use this cream morning and night!

Moisturizer

During the dry, cold months of Winter, I swear by Clinique Moisture Surge Gel. It never feels too heavy, is never greasy, and it seriously works! I have not had a single batch of dry skin on my face this winter!! #knockonwood

Extra Moisture

When I was home over the holidays, I re-discovered a product I used to love. Bare Minerals Moisture Burst Facial Mist. Unfortunately, I don’t think they make this product any more, but I had quite a few bottles in my bathroom that I brought back to NYC with me. This is one of those products that I don’t use every day, but I’ll spritz it on when my skin is feeling dry. I’ve been using it over my makeup and also after I’ve washed and moisturized my face at night as an extra pick-me-up!

Shop the Post

Have you tried any of these products? What are your winter skincare go-to’s?

Stay tuned for my makeup routine, favorite hair products, and tutorials! Make sure you leave a comment below with any special requests. :)

Jennifer January 30, 2013 at 7:27 am

Good to know about those Freeze products. I’ve never tried any of them. I may have to.

Jessica Sturdy January 30, 2013 at 10:11 am

If you try them, let me know what you think!

Penny Pincher Fashion January 30, 2013 at 7:36 am

I love reading about what other bloggers use on their skin – you know I’m a big fan of this eye cream too…couldn’t live without it!! :)

Jessica Sturdy January 30, 2013 at 10:11 am

Yes, we are quite the Eyecing addicts! ;)

Mary January 30, 2013 at 8:19 am

Excited to try those products!! Approaching 30 so I think it’s time to “outgrow” the drugstore products :)

Jessica Sturdy January 30, 2013 at 10:10 am

I just discovered Freeze 24-7 this past summer and I really enjoy these 3 products that I’ve tried!

Kelly January 30, 2013 at 9:33 am

Hi Jessica! Love your blog, but have you ever thought about switching to cruelty-free products? Neutrogena (Johnson & Johnson) tests on animals; I used to use a lot of their products but have switched (I own a rescue beagle and am very sensitive about the issue as beagles are the #1 breed used in testing). Green Beaver (a Canadian company) makes an all-natural grapefruit cleanser that has totally cleared my skin up! I highly recommend it.

Jessica Sturdy January 30, 2013 at 10:10 am

Hi Kelly, I didn’t realize that Neutrogena tests on animals. Thanks so much for the heads up and the suggestions!

Kelly January 30, 2013 at 9:35 am
Brittany January 30, 2013 at 10:18 am

I didn’t know that the bare minerals moisture burst was no longer made. I myself have so many bottles I haven’t had a need to go look for it. I am interested in the trying the Freeze 24/7 scrub. My skin is combo so right now my cheeks are incredibly dry so I use Hope in a Jar by Philosophy and Neutrogena for Sensitive Skin (Oil Free) on my T-Zone.

Thanks for sharing this and I can’t wait to see what hair care products you use!

pretty little things January 30, 2013 at 10:43 am

I use those pink grapefruit products too! they smell so yummy! xo

Alyssa January 30, 2013 at 10:53 am

That Clinique moisture surge always has a place on my vanity. I love it!

Kayla Gilbert January 30, 2013 at 10:54 am

I use Neutrogena oil free acne wash too! I need to check out these Freeze products! Thanks Jessica! : )

Kayla

Jocelyn January 30, 2013 at 11:12 am

I use a lot of Arbonne, Decleor, and Dermologica products. My newest favorite Decleor product is the night balm. I have oily skin and using this at night has had such a major impact. I’m going to look into the Freeze 24-7 products, because I like switching things up now and then.

Rose January 30, 2013 at 11:16 am

OK, you’re making me want to try some Freeze products for sure now! (Maybe it’ll work better when we’re not using a sample at Bendel’s and my hands are already covered in lotion.) My favorite skincare mask is the Murad Clarifying Mask-I swear my skin looks immediately better after using it, every time.

xx
Rose
Blonde in this City

Sheri Ann January 30, 2013 at 11:56 am

I think I may need to try some Freeze 24-7 products, especially that exfoliator! I’m a huge fan of Clinique Moisture Surge too – can’t beat it in my opinion. I also really like First Aid Beauty products. The prices aren’t awful and I haven’t come across any of their products that I haven’t liked.

Patricia January 30, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Neutrogena facial wipes are in my nightstand too. Must admit some nights that’s the best I can do. Otherwise Bobbie Brown all the way.

Ashley Sparks January 30, 2013 at 12:31 pm

These look great!
My dermatologist recommends LaRoche and it has completely changed my skin. I use the face wash and the tinted moisturizer with sun screen. My favorite is the Rosliac though. I have a lot of red blotchy spots and it really tones them down.

I’ll have to give the Freeze-24 a try too!
Ashley Rane

Anngelik Martinez January 30, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Thank you for sharing! Your skin is flawless and I will try this.

-Vogue&Heels
vogueandheels.wordpress.com

Julie January 30, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I have tried soooo many products before. High end, low end, you name it! Right now, I’ve found a great balance and most of them are inexpensive. I haven’t had a breakout in many, many months (hope I didn’t just jinx myself!). I’m loving these products right now (I have oily/combo skin):

My daytime moisturizer: Cetaphil Oil Control Moisturizer with 30 SPF (because sunscreen is important, even in the winter!) http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=385657&catid=182258&aid=338666&aparam=goobase_filler

My nighttime moisturizer: St. Ives Timeless Skin (apparently Dr. Oz loves this stuff and says it helps prevent wrinkles. I have noticed my fine lines on my forehead diminishing. I’ve been using it for about 4 months.) It’s not too greasy or anything, I really like it!!! http://www.drugstore.com/st-ives-timeless-skin-collagen-elastin-facial-moisturizer/qxp194030

My day and night facial wash: Trader Joe’s Nourish All in One: I really like this stuff! And it’s only around $6. http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp?ItemID=146354

Facial scrub: Queen Helene Oatmeal ‘n Honey Scrub: This stuff is great and it’s so cheap! I can only find it at Walgreens where I live, but other places may carry it. I use two times a week or so. http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/queen-helene-oatmeal-'n-honey-natural-facial-scrub/ID=prod6103092-product?ext=gooBeauty_PLA_Cleansers_ampersand_Scrubs_prod6103092_pla&adtype={adtype}&kpid=prod6103092&sst=7feb3e4a-8318-ec69-8239-000060fbfd55

The BEST face mask for diminishing pores and just making your skin look super tight: Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask. Seriously, this stuff is amazing. Also low price. And I can only find at Walgreens. Be warned, it will stain washcloths, so use old ones when rinsing off. I use a couple of times a week fully on my face. Sometimes I just want my pores to go away, so in the morning after my shower, I will place little dabs on my my T-Zone and on my pores and chin for about 10 minutes. It gives my face a quick pick me up! http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=79218&catid=182937&aid=338666&aparam=goobase_filler

Origins GinZing Refreshing Eye Cream: I just picked this up a few weeks ago at Sephora. It’s about $30 a bottle, but I do notice a difference right away when I put it on. It really brightens and depuffs my under eye area. http://www.sephora.com/ginzing-refreshing-eye-cream-P297511?om_mmc=Googlepla,_requestid=42976,cm_mmc=us_search-_-GG-_-pla-_-,ci_src=17588969,ci_sku=1375625

Emily January 30, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I recently started using Clinique Moisture Surge Youth Night for night and day (idk if you’re supposed to but whatever). It is great, super moisturizing and non-greasy. Unfortunately, it still couldn’t protect against the wind for the 3 weeks I was working in downtown Chicago (I do consulting so I’m everywhere). I still like it.. I got hooked when I received it as a free sample from Clinique as part of their Bonus Time goodies. I’m convinced my skin was the best it ever looked when I was using that sample. I’m trying to get my skin back to normal because it’s been breaking out lately.

Amy January 30, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I may have to try some of these, my skin gets SO dry during the winter, it drives me crazy!

Anna January 30, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I can not believe it. We totally use the exact same products, Neutrogena and Freeze. Our regiment is exact but I don’t use the Clinique.

Wish mine looked like yours, but glad to know it is ok to mix products.

Jessica January 30, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Thank you for doing a piece on skin care..I have been thinking about switching to something new, and the Freeze 24/7 line looks awesome! Thanks for the find :-)

Stacey January 30, 2013 at 5:30 pm

I love the Neutrogena pink grapefruit range it smells so good!

xoxo
Stacey

Five Minute Style

Meredith January 30, 2013 at 9:31 pm

I really am struggling with my dry skin! I want to try the Clinique product! Thank you for the review!

Megan January 30, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Out of all your products you use I’ve used the netrugena grapefruit wash. But I’m interested to try the other ones you mentioned. I suffer from bad dry skin so in always looking for new things to help get rid of it. As of right now I’ve been using proactive. And it’s really cleared up my skin and the the green tea moisturizer has been a blessing to use under my make up.

jenn~the stylish housewife January 31, 2013 at 2:12 am

seeing all of this is making me miss my 24/7 eye serum already!!! but i JUST put on my eyecing. =) i also use the neutrogena grapefruit scrub! love this post!

xoxo, jenn
the stylish housewife

Petite Adventures January 31, 2013 at 6:51 pm

I love Neutrogena Oil-Free Pink Grapefruit Scrub, it’s been my go to for a while now. Always so happy with it!

Kate xo petite-adventures.blogspot.ca

Kelly (@Birdieshoots) February 1, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I’ve been wanting to try the Clinique Moisture Surge Gel for so long! Thanks for your review!

//Birdie Shoots//

Meredith December 30, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Your beloved Freeze 24/7 is on sale now on Hautelook!